The road bridge over the Strathy River was built in 1932 and had a reinforced-concrete bowstring tied arch of a span of about 100 ft and rise of 30 ft. It was demolished between its abutments in 1994 and now has a modern deck of composite beams of steel girders and a reinforced concrete slab.
At the west end of the village is the Strathy Inn and road to Strathy Point. From the end of this road you can walk to the lighthouse. Built in 1958 the lighthouse was the first in Scotland to be run on electricity and last to be built as a manned station. It is located 58 degrees 36.9' N, 4 degrees 0.75 W and was a landmark used by fishermen for years to distinguish between the west fisheries of the Atlantic and the east fisheries of the North Sea. It has a low (35ft) square white tower, the traditional circular tower design being abandoned due to internal fittings having to be made to order. Strathy completed the north coast lights between Duncansby Head (1924, also square tower) and Cape Wrath. It was converted to automatic in 1996 and the final remaining keeper left on the 31st March 1997. The light was extinguished in early 2012. The lantern flashed white every twenty seconds and its nominal range was 27 miles. There is also a fog horn that had four diaphone blasts every 90 seconds.
Built with money from the Millennium lottery fund Strathy has a village hall located next to the bridge over the River Strathy. A good viewing point to the village is at the graveyard on the hill to the east of the river. Also located here is the environmentally friendly Ranger shelter and toilet.